Short Ribs with Vegetables
|By :Holy Mess|
This Instant Pot Short Ribs with Vegetables recipe was made in an 8 quart Instant Pot, this can be scaled down for smaller pots. The vegetables used can be mixed and adjusted to your preference, just plan to load it up!
|Diet||Dairy Free, Low Fat|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook, Sauté|
|Main Ingredient||Ribs, Sweet Potato|
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||70 minutes|
- 5 pounds bone in short ribs
- 1 large golden beet
- 1 medium purple beet
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 small turnips
- 2 small to medium sweet onions
- 1/2 cup celery
- 3 cloves of garlic
- handful of fresh thyme
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Malbec/red wine of choice or one more of broth
- salt and pepper to preference
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Turn the Instant Pot (IP) on to sauté high, add oil, salt, pepper, smashed garlic and finely chopped onion.
- Cover with a standard lid (not the locking lid), fully cook and lightly brown the garlic and onion on "saute" setting.
- Remove lid and scoop out the veggies, reserve to the side.
- With the IP still on "saute", brown each side of the short ribs with some of the fresh thyme.
- While the onions cook and meat browns, wash, peel and chop the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the onions and garlic back in and layer the rest of the vegetables on top of the browned meat.
- Pour in the liquid and add any other seasonings and herbs you prefer.
- Twist on the sealing lid, select Pressure Cook or Manual, high pressure for 40 minutes with a 30+ minute natural pressure release (NPR).
- When the NPR has finished, carefully remove the lid. At this point everything should be nicely cooked and you can serve as it is… or you may scoop out the vegetables and meat from the pot, transfer to another dish and cover.
- Then pour the liquid in the IP into the blender and turn on high until it is completely smooth (there would still be a few bits of veggies and the thyme sprigs).
- Turn the pot back onto sauté high and reduce the liquid by half. This takes about 45 minutes-but is SO worth it extra time! The flavor at the end of that time is incredible.
- While the liquid reduces, debone and remove any excess fat to prepare for serving.
- We enjoyed this over a cauliflower and carrot puree.
The Holy Mess is a website that teaches busy women to balance, family, and fitness.
I am a busy wife and mom. Ten years ago, I lost 100 pounds and have been maintaining my weight loss since then. Read more about my weight loss story by clicking here.
Our website is named The Holy Mess because life is messy but it’s also holy when we dedicated our efforts to God. God can take our messes and use them to His good.
Our family was built by birth and adoption. We were foster parents for 6 years to over 35 foster children. My husband is a pastor.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!