Indian Butter Chicken
|By :Danielle Walker|
Butter chicken is definitely a comforting dish, with its warm, velvety sauce of curry spices coating tender chicken. I use a creamy cashew puree to mellow out the spices and thicken the luscious sauce.
|Diet||Low Carb, Low Sodium|
|Cooking Technique||Pressure Cook, Sauté|
|Main Ingredient||Butter, Cashews, Chicken Thighs|
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
|Cook Time||18 minutes|
- 1/2 cup whole raw cashews
- 6 tablespoons ghee or unsalted grass-fed butter
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed of fat and cut into
- 2 shallots chopped (about
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed
- lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 green cardamom pods bruised with the butt of a knife
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Ginger peeled and minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Toasted slivered almonds for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Garlic Naan for serving
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Soak for 30 minutes.
2 tablespoonsof the ghee in an Instant Pot using the Sauté setting. Add the chicken, shallots, and onion and sauté for 8 minutes, until the chicken is browned and the onion is translucent. Add the remaining 4 tablespoonsghee, the tomato puree, tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, ginger, garam masala, cumin, salt, turmeric, and fenugreek and stir to combine. Secure the lid and select the meat/stew setting, or select the Pressure Cook and Manual setting and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the cashews, rinse, and drain again. Combine the cashews and
3/4 cupwater in a blender. Blend on high speed until very smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds in a high-speed blender, or 1 minute in a conventional blender.
- When the Instant Pot timer is done, quick release the pressure and stir in the cashew cream. Spoon the butter chicken into serving bowls. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro and serve with naan on the side.
Tidbits: Repurpose any leftover sauce by adding it to some sautéed vegetables and rotisserie chicken or cooked shrimp for a quick dinner the next day.
Danielle Walker is the author of three New York Times bestselling cookbooks, Against All Grain, Meals Made Simple, and Celebrations! She is also the voice behind the most popular grain-free website on the Internet, AgainstAllGrain.com. She is a self-trained chef whose innovative and accessible grain-free recipes appeal to a range of appetites. Her recipes are not only healthy and delicious, but also can be credited with saving her life after she received a diagnosis of a serious autoimmune disease. She lives with her husband and three children in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!