• For a 3-quart cooker, you must use the full amount of evaporated milk but halve the remaining ingredients.
• For an 8-quart cooker, you must add 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth with the evaporated milk.
• Add up to 1 teaspoon minced garlic with the basil.
• Grate nutmeg over the servings.
• Warm about 1/2 inch of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until wavy. Fry whole basil leaves in the oil until blistered, about 1 minute, turning once. Use these to garnish the pasta.
• For a vodka sauce, substitute vodka for the evaporated milk.