• For a more complex flavor, substitute five-spice powder for the ground dried ginger.
• For a more gingery flavor, add up to 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger with the soup ingredients.
• For a more savory flavor, add up to 1 sheet kombu (a dried seaweed) with the soup ingredients. Remove the kombu before serving.
• For more heft, stir 2 cups stemmed, washed, and shredded baby bok choy or bagged shredded Brussels sprouts into the soup when you open the pot in step 5. Simmer on the SAUTÉ setting at MEDIUM, NORMAL, or CUSTOM 300°F for 1–2 minutes to wilt the vegetable before serving.
• Garnish the servings with sambal oelek or another chunky red chile sauce, if desired.